Full Moon Names and Their Meanings
Full Moon names date back to Native Americans, of what is now the northern and eastern United States. The tribes kept track of the seasons by giving distinctive names to each recurring full Moon. Their names were applied to the entire month in which each occurred. There was some variation in the Moon names, but in general the same ones were current throughout the Algonquin tribes from New England to Lake Superior. European settlers followed that custom and created some of their own names. Since the lunar month is only 29 days long on the average, the full Moon dates shift from year to year. Here is a listing of the full Moon names:
• Full Beaver Moon This was the time to set beaver traps before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. Another interpretation suggests that the name Full Beaver Moon comes from the fact that the beavers are now actively preparing for winter. It is sometimes also referred to as the Frosty Moon.
• The Full Buck Moon July is normally the month when the new antlers of buck deer push out of their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur. It was also often called the Full Thunder Moon, for the reason that thunderstorms are most frequent during this time. Another name for this month’s Moon was the Full Hay Moon.
• The Full Cold Moon; or the Full Long Nights Moon During this month the winter cold fastens its grip, and nights are at their longest and darkest. It is also sometimes called the Moon before Yule. The term Long Night Moon is a doubly appropriate name because the midwinter night is indeed long, and because the Moon is above the horizon for a long time. The midwinter full Moon has a high trajectory across the sky because it is opposite a low Sun.
• Full Flower Moon In most areas, flowers are abundant everywhere during this time. Thus, the name of this Moon. Other names include the Full Corn Planting Moon, or the Milk Moon.
• Full Fruit or Barley Moon The names Fruit and Barley were reserved only for those years when the Harvest Moon is very late in September.
• Full Harvest Moon This is the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox. In two years out of three, the Harvest Moon comes in September, but in some years it occurs in October. At the peak of harvest, farmers can work late into the night by the light of this Moon. Usually the full Moon rises an average of 50 minutes later each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the Moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night: just 25 to 30 minutes later across the U.S., and only 10 to 20 minutes later for much of Canada and Europe. Corn, pumpkins, squash, beans, and wild rice the chief Indian staples are now ready for gathering.
• Full Hunter’s Moon With the leaves falling and the deer fattened, it is time to hunt. Since the fields have been reaped, hunters can easily see fox and the animals which have come out to glean.
• Full Pink Moon This name came from the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, which is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring. Other names for this month’s celestial body include the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and among coastal tribes the Full Fish Moon, because this was the time that the shad swam upstream to spawn.
• Full Snow Moon Since the heaviest snow usually falls during this month, native tribes of the north and east most often called February’s full Moon the Full Snow Moon. Some tribes also referred to this Moon as the Full Hunger Moon, since harsh weather conditions in their areas made hunting very difficult.
• Full Strawberry Moon This name was universal to every Algonquin tribe. However, in Europe they called it the Rose Moon. Also because the relatively short season for harvesting strawberries comes each year during the month of June . . . so the full Moon that occurs during that month was christened for the strawberry!
• Full Sturgeon Moon The fishing tribes are given credit for the naming of this Moon, since sturgeon, a large fish of the Great Lakes and other major bodies of water, were most readily caught during this month. A few tribes knew it as the Full Red Moon because, as the Moon rises, it appears reddish through any sultry haze. It was also called the Green Corn Moon or Grain Moon.
• Full Wolf Moon Amid the cold and deep snows of midwinter, the wolf packs howled hungrily outside Indian villages. Thus, the name for January’s full Moon. Sometimes it was also referred to as the Old Moon, or the Moon After Yule. Some called it the Full Snow Moon, but most tribes applied that name to the next Moon.
• Full Worm Moon As the temperature begins to warm and the ground begins to thaw, earthworm casts appear, heralding the return of the robins. The more northern tribes knew this Moon as the Full Crow Moon, when the cawing of crows signaled the end of winter; or the Full Crust Moon, because the snow cover becomes crusted from thawing by day and freezing at night. The Full Sap Moon, marking the time of tapping maple trees, is another variation. To the settlers, it was also known as the Lenten Moon, and was considered to be the last full Moon of winter.
The Power of Crystals
AGATE – Courage; symbolizes third eye; gives a spiritual love of truth.
ALEXANDRITE – Inner and outer regeneration; works on the crown chakra; brings general good fortune.
AMAZONITE –blue green — Opens psychic center, gives clairvoyant visions, promotes truth & trust. Strengthen nervous system; used in ancient Egypt.
AMBER — yellow –Improve decision making, has calming effect, use for manifestation. Grounds and stabilizes; healing agent; acts as a filter; radiates light & heat.
AMETHYSTS –purple — Break bad habits, increase your psychic abilities, inner peace & spirituality.
APACHE TEARS — translucent black – Absorbs negativity, helps to process bad memories, “Protection.”
APATITE — Successfully produces hunger suppression, use with other crystal to produce results. Clears confusion in the mental straits.
AQUA AURA — blue crystal – All psychic abilities can be stimulated & amplified by this mineral. These crystals Teach us to focus our energy for better use. Help improve creativity.
AQUAMARINES — light blue – Use to alleviate fears & phobias, cleansing-soothing-tranquility.
AZURITE — blue ball – Promotes psychic experiences, truth in prophecy, use in hypnosis. Jewel of wisdom; revitalizes damaged tissue, stimulates thought and clarifies dreams.
BLACK OBSIDIAN — black – Wards off negativity and cools hot tempers use for inner growth.
BLACK TOURMALINE – black – A strong protection stone deflects negative energy, raises vibration.
BLOODSTONE — green w/red specks – Carry to win completions, calms fears, brings abundance.
BLUE AGATE –blue – increase your psychic “seeing”, intuition & inner knowing, has calming influence.
BLUE LACE AGATE — blue & white – Inspires spiritual awareness, easygoing, optimistic & joyful.
BLUE QUARTZ — blue – Allows you to speak w/spiritual masters, activates psychic abilities, creativity.
BLUE TIGER-EYE –brownish blue – Enhance psychic abilities, eliminate the “blues”, brings optimism.
BLUE TOPAZ — translucent blue – True love & success in all endeavors, confidence in ones decisions.
BOTSWANA AGATE – blues-brown-whites – Artistic expression, overcome bitterness, practicality.
CALCITE Thought amplifier; aids memory; greater intellectual capacity.
CALCITE — (Green) Mental healer: can be used in any situation where you are striving to attain balance.
CARNELIAN — orange – Protection from envy fears & rage. Used for infertility & impotence.
CELESTITE — light blue — Creative expression & clear expression & clear speech, peace of mind, balances emotions.
CHAROITE — purple — New age stone allows us to see with love, helps with “letting go” in relationships.
CHRYSOCOLLA — greenish blue – Eases nervous tension, helps expression, communication, and wisdom.
CHRYSOPHASE — green — Helps you find your true love, new beginnings, reduces inferiority complex.
CITRINE — yellow — Will not retain negative energy, “Merchants Stone” put in cash box, clarification.
COPPER — Stimulates healing, directs energy, use to draw money and to bring you luck.
CRAZY LACE AGATE — black browns & whites – Worn by warriors in battle, guard against evil eye.
CRYSTAL — clear quartz — Healing, health, protection, psychism, inner peace, astral projection. Will amplify the effects of all other stones. Best used with a clear mind and an open heart.
EMERAL — green — “Stone of successful Love” helps us to see clearly from the heart. Psychic-eye.
FANCY JASPER — greens & browns –Brings joy to holder, increases energy, adapt to new situations.
FETISHES — small animal shapes – A fetish is thought to bring good luck. If treated properly it will help give power to its possessor. The power resides in the spirit dwelling within the fetish
GARNET –red –Attract loves and sensuality remember dreams and protect against nightmares.
GOLD TIGERS EYE — goldish –Protection and will power, wealth & luck help soften stubbornness.
GREEN AVENTURINE — dark greens –Release anxiety & fear, independence and positive attitude.
GREEN CALCITE — like green wax — Good for anyone attending school, draws money to wearer.
GREEN MOSS AGATE — green w/moss in it — Carry to make new friends, use for business success.
GREEN QUARTZ — light green — Promotes intuitive abilities about love, stimulates creativity and wealth.
HEMATITE — metallic gray –Very grounding & protecting, dispels negativity & improves self-esteem.
HOWLITE — white w/gray lines –Fosters inspiration, creativity and artistic expression.
IOLITE — blue–enhances leadership ability, power, inner strength, & executive ability.
JADE –green –Healing abilities, brings serenity and wisdom, soothes emotions.
JET –black –Used for centuries as a healing stone, will draw out negative energy, control mood swings.
KYANITE — dark bluish white –Psychic awareness on all levels, dispel anger and frustration, one of two stones that will not retain negative energy.
LABRADORITE –dark opalistic colors –Protects one’s aura from negativity, promotes intuitive thought.
LAPIS LAZULI –blue w/pyrite flecks –Improves expression, increases psychic abilities. “Power Stone”.
LARVIKITE –dark gray — The Wizard stone, aids us in communicating with our highest power.
LEOPARDSKIN — gray w/spots –Promotes endurance, a steady healing stone, instills will to do good.
LEPIDOLITE — purple –Calming, soothes anger & hatred, rids negative emotions, and brings restful sleep.
MAHOGANY OBSIDIAN — brownish black –Excellent protective stone eliminate energy blockages.
MALACHITE — dark green –“healing Stone” removes negativity and mental blocks, dispels stress.
MOONSTONE –milky colors — Helps calm P.M.S., softens mood swings, and improves intuition.
MOTHER OF PEARL — crème pearl shell –Brings honesty & integrity, peaceful energy, concentration.
OPAL — white w/flashes — Awaken psychic qualities, remain calm in midst of chaos, enhance business.
OPTICAL CALCITE — clear white — Improves communication, self-expression & mental powers.
ORANGE AVENTURINE – light orange – Amplifies ones leadership qualities, balance male/female.
ORANGE CALCITE –like orange wax– Good for those in healing profession, focus concentration.
PAUA SHELL — pink — Stimulate intuition, sensitivity, imagination, and adaptability.
PEACOCK ORE — multi colored — Newness to ones life, helps release old patterns, protection from neg.
PERIDOT — small green — Job burnout, heal bruised egos, eases jealousy, good for clairvoyance.
PETRIFIED WOOD — tree like –Use to recall past lives, protective amulet, extremely grounding.
PICASSO MARBLE –browns grays –Develop creative talents. Use to promote weight loss. Inner sight.
PICTURE JASPER — brown scenic lines –Stabilize & balance your life, stop smoking, reveal fears.
PINK CALCITE — pastel pink –Used as a study partner, helps in boosting your memory. Calming.
PYRITE – gold — Scatters negative energy dispels anxiety & depression, carry to bring luck.
RED CALCITE — like red wax –– Helps find the source of childhood fears, sharpens mental clarity.
RED CORAL — red –Set and meet goals protect one from depression and despondency.
RED JASPER –rust — Often worn by shamans helps you to finish projects, protecting and grounding.
RED TIGERS EYE — reddish brown –Draws helpful people to the wearer, heightens awareness.
RHODOCHROSITE — banded pink –Kindness & compassion, forgiveness & self-love, powerful healer.
RHODONITE — pink w/gray — Brings self-confidence, inner growth, and strengthens self-identity.
ROSE QUARTZ — rose –“love Stone” heals wounds of heart, teaches love, compassion, forgiveness.
ROUGH RUBY –red — Protects against enemies; use to halt nightmares, “Magical Power”
RUTILATED QUARTZ — qtz. W/gold retile –Use for self-control, make decisions, strengthens will power.
SERPENTINE — green –Clears up emotional problems, enhance meditation, clear energy centers.
SILICON –silver –“Master Healer” purifies physical body, calms anger, and increases wealth.
SMOKY QUARTZ — translucent gray — Improves creativity, increases self-esteem, protection.
SNOWFLAKE OBSIDIAN –black w/snow–Protective for sensitive people, balance during change.
SNOW QUARTZ — snow white – Use for channeling, learns & recognize karmic debts, awareness.
SODALITE –dark blue w/white lines –Helps self-expression, eases subconscious fears & guilt.
STRAWBERRY QUARTZ — rose w/black lines — Used in Atlantis healing ceremonies rid over-sensitivity.
SUGILITE –dark purple –Channeling abilities, helps empathic people, rids negative thought.
SUNSTONE –yellows — Dispels stress & fear, brings luck, connects with your spirit guides.
THULITE — red — View life with love, increase energy field, help people in entertainment field.
TOURMALINATD QUARTZ — qtz w/tourmaline –Clear up bad habits that get in the way of our progress.
TREE AGATE — green w/white lines — Analytical capabilities, awakens talents, connect w/spirit guides.
TURRITELLA — fossil — Helps in business world, dispense old programming, obtain new things.
TURQUOISE — blue nuggets — Communication, positive thinking, builds strength, protection.
UNAKITE — green w/pink –– Protect personal power, take charge, release emotions.
YELLOW JASPER — yellow — Will assist & protect you during times of travel, lesson sorrow & regret.
ZEBRA MARBLE — black & white stripes — Total recall of dreams, self-control & common sense, clarity.
NOTE: Crystals and stones can be aids in uplifting ourselves but they will not do the work for us. Each person must make an individual commitment to raising one’s own consciousness. I am not recommending anything as a substitute for medical care. If you have any questions, please call me at (602) 501-5600. Lynn
What Crystal goes with your sign?
Agate, Ametrine, Aventurine, Bloodstone, Blue Lace Agate, Canelian, Chrysoprase, Copper, Danburite, Fire Agate, Fire Opal, Flint Hermatite, Hawkeye, Indicolite, Mahogany Obsidan, Pyrope, Rainbow Hematite, Rubelite, Ruby, Pink Sapphire, Sardonyx,Silcon Carbide, Spectrolite, White Spinet. White Soinet, Red Spinet, Strontium Fluorite, Suglite, Thulite, Tiger-eye, Red Tiger-eye, Tiger-iron, Yellow Topaz, Green Tourmaline, Unakite.
Almandine, Aquamarine, Azurmalachite, Bronzite, Chrysocolla Cobelt, Copper, Covellite, Dicoplase, DuMortierite, Enstatite, Fuchsite, Goldstone, Hiddenite, Larimar, Magnetite, Mitorolite, Paua, Pearl, Peridot Prehnite, Psilomelane, Rainbow Obsidian, Rhodonite, Sapphire, Siberian Blue Quartz, Blue Smilhsonite, Black Spinal, Toumalinated Quartz, Variscite.
Apatite, Calcite, Chrysoprase, Cubic Zirconia, Diaspore Malachite Morganite, Phenakite, Siberian Blue Quartz, Pink Spinel, Tanzanite, Thulite, Red Tiger-Eye, Wulfenite.
Almandine, Amazonite, Amber, Cobalt, Goldstone, Hiddenite, Jade, Kunzite, Kyanite, Magnetite, Moldavite, Nephrite, Paua, Porphyry, Purpurite, Rainbow Quart, Rhodochrosite, Rhodonite, Rose Quartz, Green Sapphire Selenite, Pink Smithsonite, Smoky Quartz, Sodalite, White Spinet, Black Spinet, Sunstone, Tektite, White Topaz Blue Topaz, Zircon.
Alexandrite, Ametrine, Aqua Aura, Celestite, Citrine, Danburite, Diaspore, Emerald, Enstatite, Fluorite, Gold, Heliodor, Herkimer Diamond, Lapis, Morganite, Prehnite, Py rite, Rose Quart, Ruby Bicolor Sapphire, Yellow Sapphire, White Spinel, Red Spinel, Pink Spinel, Staurolite, Strontium Fluorite, Sunstone Topaz.
Apatite, Calcite, Chrysoprase, Cubic Zirconia, Diaspere, Lepidolite, Malachite, Morganite, Paula Phenakite, Pink Spinet, Black Spinet, Tanzanite, Red Tiger Eye, Wulfenite.
Almandine, Aquamarine, Azurmalachite, Bronzite, Chrysocolla, Cobalt, Copper Covellete, Dioptase, DuMortierite, Enstatite, Fuchsite, Goldstone, Hiddenite, Larimar, Magnetite, Mtorolite, Pearl, Peridot, Prehnite, Psilomelane, Purpurite, Pyrope, Rainbow Obsidan, Rhodonite, Rose Quartz, Sapphire, Siberian Blue Quartz, Blue Smithsonite, Strontium Fluorite, Tourmalinated Quartz, Variscite.
Apatite, Celestite, cobalt, Danburite, Fire Opal, Hemalite, Jet, Malachite, Moldavite, Moonstone, Obsidian, Opal Psilomelane, Quartz, Rainbow Hermatite, Phodochrosite, Rhodonite, Rose Quartz, Rubelite. Ruby, Rutiliated Quartz, Siberian Blue quartz, Snowflake Obsidian, Sugilite, Tiger-iron, Bicolor Tourmaine Black Tourmaine, Zircon.
Agate, Amazonite, Aqua Aura, Aquamarine, Blue Chalcedony, Blue Lace Agate, Chrysocolla, Coral Diaspore, Dolomite, Epidote, Hawk-e ye, Jade Larimar, Mtorolite, Peridot, Red Jasper, Rubelite, Pink Spinet, Staurolite, Strontium Fluorite, Turquoise, Unakite Vanadnite.
Chrysocolla Covellite, Indcolite, Jet Black Kyanite, Mahongany Obsidian, Obsidian Purpurite Sapphire Silicon. Silicon Carbide, Blue Smithsonite, Snowflake Obsidian, Black Spinet, Sugilite, Tektite.
Alexandrite, Amethyst, Ametrine, Aqua Aura, Azurmalachite, Celestite, Chrysoprase, Cubic Zirconia, Enstatite, Fire Opal, Herkimer Diamond lolite, Mtorolite Opal, Purpunite Quartz, Rainbow Hematite, Rainbow Obsidian, Rainbow Quartz, Rhodolite, Rutilated quartz, Silicon Carbide, Spectrolite, Tourmaine, Zircon.
Aquamarine, Azurmalachite, Black Jade, Blue Jade, Blue Chaicedony, Fuchsite, Hermatite, Black Kyanite, Larimar Lepidotite Moldavite, Black Onyx, Porphyry, Rainbow Hermatite, Smokey quartz, Snowflake Obsidian, Sodalite, Sunstone, Tiger-iron, Bicolor Tourmaline Zircon.
Charcoal Burning resin Incense
CHARCOAL BURNING RESIN INCENSES are blends of resins gathered from the sap of trees, fragrant flowers and valuable essential oils from the Far East, Africa the Middle East. Charcoal resins travelled thousands of miles by camel trade caravans; their destination royalty, the wealthy and privileged few.
Resins like Frankincense, Myrrh, Sandalwood and Gloria have been blended and revered for centuries, to be offered in worship and mystical ceremonies by religions all over the world, and were the original “Gift of the Jaji” brought by the Three Kings.
Sage, Cedar and Copal are considered the sacred smudging incenses (for cleansing crystals and stones) of the Indians of North and South America.
Cedar Purifies; aids in healing; protects, sanctifies and brings wealth.
Copal Incense of the Mayans; protects; clears negative vibrations.
Frankincense Protects; increases spirituality and love; consecrates.
Lavender Improves mental concentration, communication and meditation.
Myrrh Aids in healing; protects; brings peace of mind.
Sage Purifies and cleanses; removes negative elements.
Sandalwood Protects; aids in healing and mediation.
INGRDIENTS: Ethiopian, Kashmiri, Moroccan and Three Kings are blends of Frankincense, Myrrh and secret essential oils. Egyptian contains the same, plus Lavender Flowers. Gloria contains all these, plus Gum of Siam and Oil of Orange. Sandalwood is of the highest grade with no oil removed.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BURNING:
- Place charcoal in burner and light. DO NOT HOLD in your hand to ignite—charcoal ignites instantly when yu put a burning match to it.
- Place burner in ash tray, planter or other safe container as it gets very hot.
- Fan charcoal until it turns grey.
- Place 2-3 stones, or pinch of powder, in center of charcoal. Scented oils or powdered incense may also be sprinkled for various fragrance effects.